Tuesday, June 8, 2010

PBS Response

I enjoyed listening to the videos clips of how others view social class. There were two video clips I found interesting. The first was a white woman who discussed how your importance increases as your job status increases. She reports that when you have a high status job, others are more likely to listen to what you have to say and your opinion matters. She discussed how when you are working in a lower paying job that you are invisible and your opinion doesn't matter. I think this is very true! I've experienced this myself.



A black gentleman discussed how there is a very narrow definition for what it means to be black in America. He discussed how if you are black and are trying to make a better life for yourself and have ambitions, you are trying to escape this definition. You are seen as a sell out if move from a poor neighborhood to a wealthier neighborhood, teach your children to use proper diction, or be ambitious. All of these things make you a sell out. This gentleman reports that black people feel that you are abandoning your background and history. I found this interesting.



Besides listening to the video clips, I had a great time exploring the website. My son and I had fun playing some of the PBS kids games. He learned all about the germinator! I like the A-Z section. There was so much to learn about!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mary. I believe I watched the clip you reference in your 1st paragraph (with Barbara Ehrenriech?) You are right to acknowledge that people are treated differently based on their jobs which brings them a certain status in society. During 30 years of working I have had 'jobs' and 'career positions'. People do treat us according to 'rank' or perceived importance of our jobs.

    In the past I taught in a welfare-to-work skills training program. We always said to learners, “all work is good work". In other words, gaining experience, makine money, and at the very least putting something on a resume and having a work reference are worthwhile. At the time I really felt that way.

    However, recently with my return to grad school I have held jobs just to make a little money; jobs considered 'low level’. Since working in what I consider to be demoralizing situations, I now believe that “all work is NOT good work.”

    Of course we all need to make a living and pay our bills. Unfortunately, there are work situations, systems and individuals that make work demoralizing. As Ehrenriech said nobody is waiting for that ‘low level’ person’s input as to how the job could be done better because “nobody cares.” She continued by saying that a lifetime of working those types of jobs and getting that type of treatment “grinds you down”. She’s right. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Donna's statement. I have worked a part time job in a retail store for the past few years. This helps supplement my income in the summer months and when there aren't a lot of subbing positions available. I work with many people who have college degrees or are currently working towards a college degree. We are all educated people. However, there are times when we are treated unfairly. There are some customers who are very rude and unkind. They look down on us because we work in a store. In these situations, we are unable to stand up for ourselves, as we are encouraged to provide good customer service. I cannot tell you how many people will argue with me that you don't need helium to make a balloon float.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary. I'm going to do an extended comment in my blog to your PBS post. Specifically, I'm going to address the class withing a class issue, as exemplified by your observation of the black gentleman's definition of what it means to be black in America. Check it out. Thanks. Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm commenting on the social status that jobs convey. I have worked with some of the best minds in medicine/surgery-from all of the best schools. True, doctors are automatically held in esteem because of their position. Some physicians however, lack character. Character is something people in all walks of life have or don't. To quote a famous man of integrity who had a dream, that one day .."men will be judged... by the content of their character". People are impressed with certain jobs, I am impressed with how people interact with people who are not impressive. Kindness matters.

    ReplyDelete